Thursday, February 28, 2019

A peculiar spider- small harmless but intelligent spider


I saw a small brown spider in the bathroom/toilet .It is seen only at night on two nights. so I began watching it regularly. It is harmless but the shape with eight legs and remaining motionless even when I put on light kept me more interesting to watch it .On the third nightYesterday I sprayed a few drops of water on it .It ran to a safer place in the corner of the wall .But the way it ran was like jumping while running.This made me more curious to know about it’s behaviour.Tonight also it appeared at the same place .it’s intention obviously was to hunt small insectslike mosquitos.To night also I sprinkled water on it.It ran and took shelter at a higher corner of the wall. Towards dawn when I put light I looked for it where it was sitting .To my surprise,I found it there but smaller in size of body with only two legs slightly pointing up.So I took a close look at it for some time .Then came the biggest surprise of my life in relation to spiders.it had observed me also and finding that I was looking at it ran away faster to the top of the wall where there is a sunshade like projection and disappeared over it. Being inquisitive to know more about the species I Google searched to find results.I got similar harmless spiders but not exactly the type which reduces the size of the body in the hiding. As it is very interesting, In this case of the spider the most surprising factor is that just the way we observe it,we are too observed by it to run away to safety. If any of the readers of this blog remembers this kind of experience ,please let me know whether there is any way to know the name of these species ,if not scientific the local name. SreedharanMundanat 1st March 2019.

2 comments:

  1. No such experience but observation of 'observer effect' on spider seems to be interesting. Observation of intelligence reminds of words from Devi Mahathmyam ' ജ്ഞാനമസ്തി സമസ്തസ്യ ജന്തോര്‍വിഷയഗോചരേ'

    ReplyDelete